This recipe comes from the book More Choices by Cheryl D. Thomas-Peters, RD
and James A Peters, MD, DrPH, RD. It is Published by the Review and Herald.
1. Bring water for lasagna noodles to a boil over high heat, and add pasta to boiling water.
Cook pasta until it is tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles and rinse with cold water.
2. In a separate dish steam the carrots and broccoli until tender. Leave to the side and let cool
until ready to use.
3. In a non-stick skillet, add olive oil and heat. Add celery, red peppers, zucchini, and
yellow squash; cook until tender. Add green onions, garlic, basil, oregano, and salt (optional).
Continue to cook for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, lemon juice, and sugar, honey or agave.
Add the steamed carrots and broccoli.
4. In blender, combine tofu (or ricotta cheese and egg whites), olive oil, lemon juice, honey
or agave, garlic powder, and dried basil; blend until smooth.
5. To assemble: In 9" x 13" lasagna pan with 3-inch sides, spray with nonstick vegetable spray, add
3 cups of the vegetable tomato sauce. Top with a layer of lasagna noodles, slightly overlpping each
piece. Top noodles with 3 cups of vegetable sauce mixture. Spoon onto the sauce half of the cheese
mixture in three strips down the noodles. Repeat with second layer of noodles, the remaining vegetable
tomato sauce (approximately 3 cups), and the remaining cheese mixture. Bakeimmediately, or refrigerate
for baking later. Bake for 45 minutes at 350F, or until top is lightly browned and casserole is bubbly.
Drizzle small amount of reserved vegetable tomato sauce over individual portions just before serving.